Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sometimes Things Just Fall in Place...

Missing my Summer House Sisters
I never thought that I would get this into writing a blog, but I am! Even if everyone that reads it is bored to death, I am not too concerned, haha. I will have an awesome collection of thoughts and stories to look back on several months from now!

Today was a very productive day, which is apparent in not only everything that I got done, but how by awful I smell...I may have to pause this post at some point for a shower, it is that bad. I suppose that is what happens after yet another day of 90˚ heat with 80% humidity, yay hot season! As soon as I leave school I no longer have air conditioning, so my short walk home is always a stinky, sweaty, red-faced one, which usually leads to my apartment and no further.  However, today I finally decided to hunt down the whereabouts of IQRA (an Islamic school) in my neighborhood.  For a few years I kept saying that I will start learning Arabic and the time has never presented itself.  This time, however, I have plenty of time and I am living in a Muslim country, so the timing is perfect! Tomorrow I start one-on-one Arabic lessons with an older Senegalese woman at the school around 4:30pm.  I will have a full day since until 4:15 I will be volunteering at the Big Brothers, Big Sisters program where I work (look at me being pro-active post-college) and I will have to scoot off to my neighborhood to start my lessons.

I am very excited to learn how to write my name in Arabic and equally excited to have a tutoring gig of my own! I will be working with one of the 4th grade misfits that by June will easily have a spot on my list of "favorite students".  I know teachers should not have favorites, but let's be serious...He is  a student I know is smart, but he cannot stay focused on his work and no one at home is there to help him do so...now he is my task! I will make him a better student by the end of the year and I will catch him up with his peers. So not only do I get to work with a great child, but I also earn half my rent doing it (yay!) so this is certainly a cloud with a silver lining :)


Nothing else exciting happened today, just relaxed this evening and I will probably call it an early night so I have plenty of energy to take on the 4th graders tomorrow! I would like to shout out a kudos to New York Wineries everywhere, and of course, Fox Run Vineyards in particular.  The New York Times had a great article about the region, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/12/dining/from-the-finger-lakes-seriously-good-wines.html?_r=3&emc=eta1 what I would do for a nice glass of dry riesling right now...*sigh*...such is living in the land of 1500CFA (about $3) wine, which is not labeled with a vintage, nor region where the grapes were grown or produced.

Just substitute "New York" in place of "California" and this is me...

1 comment:

  1. Just one question: will you be able to get a reasonable shower before coming home at Christmas and/or you have to be fumigated by the airline as you were last time you came home (just kidding). Hope you start to get some weather relief soon.

    ReplyDelete