Thursday, October 13, 2011

People Say I'm Crazy, I Got Diamonds On the Soles of My Shoes...

It was a Paul Simon night, along with various camp songs for the Quaker camp I went to, Camp Onas. I just felt like skipping around my apartment this evening and Rafiki curled up in a ball, allowing me to do whatever I liked without making figure eights around my feet. I think he was just ecstatic that for the first time since I took him in I bought him dried cat food, Whiskas for my kitty! I wish they had meow mix, then I could have hummed the commercial while feeding him. I am huge believer in singing to plants and pets (go ahead, think I am crazy) if for no other reason than it releases good vibes in the air, which then lead to healthy plants and animals :)

So what song was I serenading Rafiki with this evening? Well after many bits and pieces of Alicia Keys' songs, my iTunes bumped into Paul Simon.  Paul Simon is someone whose brilliance I did not truly discover until my senior year of college! Credit to my Summer House sisters for making me fall in love with the Graceland album...so the song of the evening was "I Know What I Know," such a great song!

I just had such a wonderful day again today! And I have another student to tutor! The student is in the 6th grade at another international school in Dakar and I will be working with her five times a week.  I am so excited to work with her and there is the added benefit of my rent now being covered by my monthly pay for tutoring two students, hooray!

Now onto my "funnies" section for this blog post...given that I used to run NARAL: Pro-Choice on my Colleges' (yes, I used that apostrophe correctly!) campus as a student, the following comic should come of no surprise to any of you...now you may begin to understand my humor if it was ever lost on you....

It is becoming a bit late for this old lady now and I need to keep up with two classes of 4th graders tomorrow, so sleep is calling me. I will share one last song with you while I wrap this up, one that I learned at camp much before I ever know the original artist and I have had every word memorized since I was 10 (although, there are not too many words).
Enjoy, and sleep well in America! Be envious of my 80˚ room temperature right now, I even have humidity to go with it! Is this not the life?

*Sigh* I just love this song...

No comments:

Post a Comment