Sunday, October 23, 2011

Lazy Days are Good Days

I am sitting here wanting to write an update and the stark reality hits me...my life really is not all that interesting...

Since I last updated my blog I have begun working with both the students I tutor and my work day is now 11 hours.  As long as I am not working more than 12 hours I am happy, and I really do enjoy working with both of the students.  However, I have realized through this job that I could never permanently be a teacher.  I like working with kids, they are nice, funny and do the weirdest things, but they are still draining.  It is also satisfying to see them succeed, but it is not a job that is particularly rewarding for me.  Granted, I am also the teaching assistant, which puts me in a different position, I get to grade all the homework, oof :(

Even though I have realized teaching is not a long term goal of mine, the application to be an ETA in France went up this week so I will start that!  You learn a lot from kids, so working with them for one or two more years will great and then it will be time to figure other things out...
Look at Rafiki's eyes! Pure EVIL!


Monday I had the much appreciated day off and went to explore a new beach in Dakar.  I went to Ile de Ngor with one of my co-workers, Megan and we had a fun day exploring.  Ile de Ngor is a very small island with a pretty small beach, fortunately it was not a national holiday this week, just an ISD holiday so the beach was essentially empty.  We found this "pool" on the far side of the island that is covered in rocks. At some point someone had built up a circular enclosure with cement and rocks next to the ocean so every time a wave hit some water came in through a hole and some got pulled out. It was really relaxing just to chill there. I also found an awesome shell in that pool, I do not know what it is called, but I have seen pictures of them :)

I ended Monday on the sandy beach and the scooted off to tutor my 6th grader since the rest of the Dakar still had school/work and she goes to a different international school...

Being that yesterday was Saturday I spent the day not doing much of anything, cleaning, sleeping, writing letters...but as the afternoon rolled on I had an urge just to sit on my balcony and people watch.  I am a huge fan of people watching, simply because people are ridiculous!  There was a nice breeze, it was not too hot, what a perfect afternoon to do nothing!


Time to be lazy on a Sunday, but I may stop at the African Renaissance statue on my way home from tutoring in an hour. I see it all the time, but I have never visited it, so I think it is about time! It certainly is big, so I will get a work out just from walking up and down the steps!
Well, I am off before I am late to tutor, happy Sunday!

Oh yea, check out this interesting blog I saw on my friend's facebook wall...if you are offended, sorry? This person just has it spot on! http://gurlgoestoafrica.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment