Saturday, October 12, 2013

Welcome, Cannonball!

I have been aching for a kitten since I moved back to The States in April. Kelby has known this, my family has suspected it, and many of friends have probably just been waiting to hear that I found a stray kitten. We have a few adult cats that roam our backyard and I longingly have stared at them all summer long. Sometimes they flee from under the parked car. Other times Kelby calls me over to a window so we can spy on them stalking squirrels. After our housewarming party, some of the young cats were privy to fried chicken bones. It really was only a matter of time, and the right kitten, for Kelby and I to go for it.

And so it goes that when I arrived to pick up Kelby from work today there was a kitten in a crate, looking for a home.  He was rescued from a nearby dumpster. With such a cute button-nose and affectionate personality I thought, "This is the one!" I also started to think about the cold nights and looming snow, which will surely arrive in a matter of weeks. What sealed the deal was when I started to play with the little guy. How could I be cuddly and loving to such a fragile creature and then cast it out into the cold night?! I just cannot do that. Without much discussion Kelby knew that my heart would break if we turned him down. In a matter of minutes I was headed down the road for some kitten food, baby shampoo (for zee fleas), and some litter.

So why the name Cannonball? It came up about a month ago over a bottle of wine. I promised Kelby that when we got a kitten it would be named Cannonball (as in Cannonball Adderley), Kelby in turn promised that we would one day have a kitten. Our little Cannonball is currently sleeping in my sweater, his belly full of food, purring away. After a fight to get him scrubbed up and flea free he is ready to see his new home! Soon he will be living like a king and the dumpster days will seem far away.

Now the big question, is it actually a male cat? We will know soon enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment