Thursday, October 3, 2013

Hello, October, how are you?

I have some really awesome news. It goes something like this:

Trees changing color
Chilly nights
Delicious, local apples
The scent of grapes-everywhere!
Large, round squash in the backyard
Holding my love for warmth
The last days of jamming (the toast kind, not music.)
Apple cider
Late night drives
Bright stars that entrance me
Autumn

And this is not just any Autumn. This is a New York State, East Coast Autumn. It is filled with some of the most delicious treasures of the entire calendar year. And I have missed it over the past two years. Senegal was the rainy, humid, sweat-through-your mattress (all 8-inches of foam) season. France was complicated as my heart tore saying goodbye to Kelby for seven months. (It should also be noted that they have mealy apples in Provence.)

Now, I get to see the world around me with a fresh face! As a "newbie" in the wine industry I am experiencing new things all of the time. Even while I shiver in my boots when the thermostat drops below 65 degrees I keep chipper. Why? Not because 65 degrees is not cold, that is all relative, but because I am exactly where I want to be. Surrounding me are the people that I hold dear: my partner in crime, my mentors, my friends, and my family, whom may be "far," but they are much closer than recent years. Again, "far," "cold," these are relative terms.

I find myself building a life. Or, continuing to construct upon foundations that I have been ever-laying down. All the while I find time to remember that I do stupid things, and I laugh at them. Laughing at myself and the people around me may be a guilty pleasure of mine. People are just ridiculous, All of us. In this wonderful time of year I find myself grinning. Because of people like you, reader. And myself.

Being alive is a beautiful thing. Even more wonderful is waking up with a smile when you realize who is next to you and falling asleep with a smirk-what silly things will happen the next day?! Tomorrow I foresee Riesling and Pinot Noir, but I have no idea what will happen when I meet these grapes. Who will be near me to giggle with? And what silly things will come out of our mouths when Kelby and I, once again, begin our commute to work? That is a story that can only be told tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment