Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Why Cold Feet Can Be a Good Thing: Fluffy Slippers!



If there is one thing I have been missing recently it is fluffy slippers.  It is a remarkable feeling when you can barely feel your toes, even while sticking them under the oven that is baking cookies, and you sprint upstairs just to bury them into fluffy goodness (aka the LL Bean slippers that approximately 97% of female students attending private colleges on the East Coast own). I will be doing quite a bit just five weeks from now, but for them moment I am stuck lamenting my lack of oven, cold weather and cold toes.  The slippers came with me.  It may seem silly that I brought my slippers to a warm country like Senegal, but I am jut waiting for one particularly cool day when I can whip them out and warm up my doigts au pied :)


In the past few weeks I have explored Dakar a bit more. I went to the beach several times, I finally went to Lac Rose (I have been planning to do this for two years!), I started jogging along the Corniche as the sun is setting over the ocean and I have eaten at more hole-in-the-wall Senegalese restaurants than I can count on both of my hands. The first trimester ends Friday, which is somewhat amazing that time flies so fast, and the war against panty-eating ants is nowhere near over. Rafiki is big and healthy, tutoring is going well, and I celebrated Tabaski over a week ago with a plate of food my neighbor brought to the apartment...Overall, life is good.

I am not going to be lazy and give up on my blog, so here is the second hurrah, let's see if I can post as many times in November as I did in October! I do have one day less to make it happen, so I could be at a disadvantage :P

Two random thoughts before I call it a night:

1. This just cracks me up! If I were a bird, I would be this little guy...do not even think about stealing my food :D


2. I miss my best friend.  Although just a few moments ago I posted this on her facebook wall, I think it right to post it again.  It was, in fact, the Top 40 of 2001 that brought us together one decade ago.  How many friendships began with one person serenading another with 112? More than you even know.

*Sigh*, I feel old. I mean, who knew that Sisqo's "Thong Song" is now 11 years old! I am sure that my parents loved me growing up to Q102...I could sing you a song about the sexiness of a thong before I even saw one, let alone owned one!  I still remember when "The Bad Touch," by Bloodhound Gang was banned from the playground in 5th grade, HA! Well, I did not turn out so bad...This was all happening at a time when I would watch Making the Band at sleepovers while adding extra butter to my already buttered popcorn, ew! I guess we all used to do things (and many of us still do...whoever said I do not still add extra butter to my popcorn??) that in retrospect are nothing short of hilarious and terrifying at the same time. I cannot wait to see what I say about myself in another decade! And now to end my night dancing around my apartment to Top 40 hits of 1998-2003.  You cannot judge me for it because, let's be serious, after reading this, you are about to do the same thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment