Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Meet Me On The Sunny Road...

 
I have successfully failed my goal of writing on my blog in the month of November as I did during the month of October, oh well. What have I learned from this failure? Nothing. Except that I enjoy being connected to the WWW, and with the forces of my own brain and Senelec, I am just not good at it.

So why would I quote Emiliana Torrini for my blog title? I just want to share my sunshine with everyone. I know that sounds silly, but in truth, I am not lying. I am soaking up the sun everyday and as awesome and beautiful of a city as Dakar is, I sure wish I could share it with people at home.  Every evening during the week when I finish up tutoring my commute goes along the Corniche, which is right next to the ocean.  I get to see the sunset on the Atlantic Ocean four days a week...the other three it is a toss up depending on my location.  Every single day I just stare out at the ocean and I am just overwhelmed with how many mysteries lay at its bottom. What I would do to one day dive to its very depths and come across a coelacanth fish...my favorite ugly fish in the world (see pic).  They intrigue me so much because they may be one of the linking clues in evolution, they have lobbed-fins, which potentially relates them to amphibians. I learned about them on a NOVA episode once in high school and I have since been intrigued by them. In short, I named this blog as I did because I have sun and ugly fish to share with everyone, don't you feel special?

It is EXACTLY what you think!
I also had a very "sunny" day, which may not jive with the actual lyrics of the song, but whatever.  I had a decent day at school and tutoring, so nothing special there, but two good things have happened... 1) I will be getting my VISA Thursday! Hooray! I will be a legal worker in this country *snoopy dance* and now I can publicly let my parents know that I have not had a VISA since August, haha. There are somethings about working in Senegal that you have to just be here to understand, like, not having a VISA is not important... 2) I may have a job offer to be an English teacher at a small bookstore in Mamelles.  Cheikh canceled his lesson, and I have been eying Chez Alpha Books for sometime (I always am happy to explore a bookstore!), so I swung by today.  Turns out it was actually closed, but the shopkeeper was happy to let me in and let me look around.  After a few minutes we started chatting as I browsed and she told me that they have been looking for a native English speaker to teach English to beginners or tutor as a Homework Helper.  I am going to look into it in the next few days, and all I can say, is thank you for faking sick Cheikh! (Yea, he fakes sick almost every time that I come by, what a bum!)

Needless to say, I had a sunny day :)

Let's hope that luck continues in my direction for the next few days! And it may sound unreal, but I only have two full weekends left in Dakar until I am home for noël! Bientôt les E-U, et mon Dieu, j'ai envie de rentrer...

No comments:

Post a Comment