Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Why It is Good to Leave America: The Music.

I suppose this update is about how wonderful so many African artists are, yet how overlooked they are by the US in particular. Of course, if you seek out new music or "world" music you have hopefully, at the very least, heard of Youssou N'Dour.  Unfortunately,  I know that many music junkies would not even know this name, easily the most well-known of all the artists I will mention.  In the following blog I will list out my top 5 favorite (overwhelmingly West) African artists and which labels signed them. Hopefully you will find something new and your music collection with thus be expanded a few more albums...

1. Asa: She is a Nigerian singer, signed to Naïve Records (Carla Bruni and Pink Martini are signed to this label as well), which is based out of Paris. She uses both English and Yoruba in her songs and has very powerful, human messages in her music. I chose to sing her song, "Fire on the Mountain," for my senior solo in Three Miles Lost this past spring. Even though I have listened to the song what feels like a bagillion times, I still am entranced by the lyrics, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jIhNOrVG58&NR=1  Asa has released two albums, the first of which is self-named Asa and her new release Beautiful Imperfection. She has done some work with another one of my favorites Tiken Jah Fakoly, who you will read about shortly...She does not have one song that I am not in love with.

2. Salif Keïta: He is a Malian singer, signed to Universal Records.  Salif Keïta is very well-known around the world. His fame is comparable to Youssou N'Dour and he uses rhythms in his music that make me dance! Even if I wanted to sit still, it would not be possible! Two of my favorite songs are "Tekere" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eGAa-rfR_g and "Africa" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXYgCf24z5M (note: I cannot hear YouTube videos on my computer thanks to Rafiki, so I hope these links work okay!) Salif Keïta uses a mix of French, Bambara and the occaisonal English in his songs and he deserves the fame and following that he has. I also just discovered that he is a descendant of Soundjata Keïta, while writing this paragraph.  Soundjata is credited with founding the Malian Empire centuries ago and there is a book published by (maybe?) Presence Africaine that tells the story of Soundjata...there is an English translation too! Another interesting fact is that he is albino, something which was looked down upon in his culture, but look how famous he is now!

3. Wasis Diop: Is a Senegalese singer now living in France and if I am not mistaken (which I may) he is producing under the label ...ThinkZik!... He has managed to break away from the music typically produced by Senegalese artists and each of his songs reflects the art he brings to his music.  Wasis Diop's music has been used in several well-known Senegalese films and his name is known throughout Senegal. I am partiuclarly fond of waking up to "Automobile Mobile" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ptR-yzmo and I have a soft spot for his song "Julia" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NORw0l0WpM, wonder why?! He mixes French, Wolof and English to make some beautiful music!

4. Tiken Jah Fakoly: A singer from the Ivory Coast who is the voice and brains behind many moving reggae beats.  He signed to the Barclay record label, which is a subdivision of Universal.  And I believe that he may have played in New York City late this past summer...you are SO lucky if you went...I am very jealous! My favorite song of his is the one which he collaborated with Asa on, "Political War" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6d940Couc and this is one of many songs with a strong political message.  Another song which I absolutely love is "Il Faut Se Lever" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCmY1lcPvgo&ob=av3e . I am biased when it comes to his music, and when you listen to his songs, you become aware that his lyrics are also the words of the youth in Africa right now.  For how many centuries has Africa been used for the interests of other nations? Too many...il faut se lever...it is time to rise up (not that I support violent revolutions, but I do support claiming one's country as their own, not just being an agent of someone else). He uses French, English and Dioula in his music.

5. Youssou N'Dour: An extremely famous Senegalese singer, known for mbalax (if you have ever been to Senegal you know what mbalax is...) a style of music and dance, which is often credited to Youssou N'Dour. I believe the current label he is signed to is Nonesuch, but he has been around so long I am not certain. He is easily more famous than the president and has even released a Senegalese cookbook, which it is only a matter of time before I buy, haha. He grew up in the neighborhood of Medina in Dakar, which is about 15 minutes from where I live. A favorite song of mine is from his album Dakar-Kingston, "Diarr Diarr" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE0Pm7F0OnQ&feature=related Youssou N'Dour also uses French, Wolof and English in his songs.

A few more artists to check out: Amadou & Mariam, Brenda Fassi, Awadi, Toumani Diabaté, and Lucky Dube.

Aside from the long music post, my past few days were graced by a teacher's retreat to Toubab Dialaw, about one hour outside of Dakar.  I HAD HOT WATER, which means I was irresponsible by taking six showers in 48 hours, and I did not feel bad about it...I will not have hot water until I am home in December, so I was going to take advantage of the opportunity! I spent the weekend relaxing by the pool at the hotel and the beach which was directly next to our hotel. I ate some delicious food, and it was so difficult to go back to work Monday. On the positive side of things, this coming weekend will be a long weekend! I cannot complain, I just hope I stay healthy and none of the booger-y kids give me their germs, ew.

I will leave you with a map of country until next time, just in case you were wondering where in the world I am in Senegal. Please say that last sentence to the Carmen Sandiego theme song...

2 comments:

  1. please send a cd of each artist to play in the tasting room. They all sound like wonderful artists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh now that i clicked the links I totally remember that song from your recital. I always meant to ask you about that song and who wrote it. Beautiful lyrics!

    ReplyDelete